Flow Measurement in Smart Inhalers
Smart inhalers are expected to play a valuable role in improved therapy. Today, more than half of patients using an inhaler receive insufficient medication and suffer from poor disease control. By measuring the inhaled airflow profile, as well as the point of drug release, this picture is drastically improved. As the leader in the medical sensor market, Sensirion offers several flow sensing solutions for smart metered dose inhalers (smart mdi).
Existing inhalers and platforms can easily be upgraded with a clip to integrate the required electronics. No matter if integrated or as a clip-on, robust and accurate flow measurement with high sensitivity is an important feature for avoiding application errors and improving disease management and patient outcomes.
For more information about smart inhalers or questions on what sensor solution is the right one for your application, please contact our sensor specialists.
Key Features of the Smart Inhaler
- Improvement of therapy outcome
- Identification of erroneous inhaler use
- Monitoring of patient compliance and enhancement of adherence
- Observance of the course of disease
- Boost in confidence and reduction of side effects
- Enabling of connected drug delivery
Key Features of the SDP3x
- Highest sensitivity down to lowest flows
- High temporal resolution of inhalation flow signal
- Proven solution in medical respiratory devices (e.g. CPAPs)
- Robust against dropping and compatible with ultra-sonic welding
- Low power consumption for battery operation of portable devices
- Robustness against external disturbances due to its two-port design
- World's smallest commercially available flow sensor
Measurements such as the point in time when the drug is dispensed provide information on the deposition of the medication in the lungs. In addition, spirometer-like parameters related to the course of disease, allow valuable insights and the smart inhaler becomes a powerful tool in asthma and COPD disease management.
With the flow sensor SDP3x, Sensirion enables solutions ranging from the simple triggering of inhalation flows to the precise characterization of flow profiles. This enables feedback from the user on the improvement of inhalation and diagnosis that supports the health care professional. Sensirion has the sensor solution tailored to the requirements of your specific application. Use Sensirion's technology to successfully explore new applications in e-health and enable the medical inhaler device of tomorrow.
Read the complete specialist article.
Become Part of the Sensirion-World
With Sensirion's preference-based newsletter, we provide you with exactly the information you need. Let us know what content is of interest to you and secure access to exclusive knowledge. Sensirion's newsletters offer insights into current topics, new products, trade fairs and the company as a workplace.
Novel flow sensor platform for smart metered-dose inhalers
In this webinar, our expert Haykel Ben Jamaa, Key Account Manager Medical Market, talks about smart metered-dose inhalers and Sensirion’s novel flow sensor platform.
What you can learn from this webinar?
- Asthma is a global concern with many casualties and high treatment cost. Learn how monitoring of drug delivery and lung function improve the adherence to the therapy, visibility on the course of the disease and understanding of the drug efficacy
- Find out how more about Sensirion’s new flow sensor platform for smart respiratory drug delivery applications
- Learn how smart inhalers will allow new possibilities for all stakeholders from insurances, medical professionals and patients which should finally benefit from improved disease control
SDP3x - The World's Smallest Flow Sensor
The SDP3x is the world's smallest flow/differential pressure sensor. It measures just 5 mm × 8 mm × 5 mm, opening up new dimensions of integration and application possibilities. The SDP3x differential pressure is ideal for the measurement of mass flow in a bypass configuration and the ideal choice for high volume and cost-sensitive applications, where small size is essential.