Incredibly Small Liquid Flow Sensors LPP10 and LPG10
Sensirion now manufactures CMOSens® microsensors for measuring liquid flows. The innovative design enables measurement in the smallest spaces achievable to date.
The sensors are available with a glass substrate (LPG10) or a plastic substrate (LPP10). Although the glass LPG10 is exceptionally durable, the plastic LPP10 is extremely cost-effective in large quantities and ideally suited for short-term applications. The non-invasive liquid flow sensor technology is based on thermal MEMS sensor elements and has been patented by Sensirion. Liquid flow sensing solutions for flow rates down to the microfluidic sector and sub-nanoliter resolutions are Sensirion’s unique strength. Samples of the LPG10 and LPP10 series are available now. Sensirion can modify existing products or develop entirely new products.
The LD20-2000T design study embodies such a possibility. A plastic shell provides a flow channel and the substrate for our sensing element. Female Luer lock fittings on both sides enable a quick and easy integration into the fluidic line while the communication is established by cable. The LD20-2000T demonstrates the flexibility and potential of our technology, with advanced flow rate measurements on a cost-effective platform.
The innovative design enables Sensirion’s highly sensitive thermal flow sensor microchips to measure non-invasively through the wall of a flow channel inside a planar microfluidic substrate (US Pat. 6813944). The design provides unique sensitivity for liquid flow measurement and bubble detection even in the microliter range. A small digital CMOSens® microchip (2.2 x 3.5 mm) is bonded to the microfluidic channel substrate. In addition to the sensor element, it houses the complete digital intelligence and the memory necessary for signal linearization and temperature compensation. The chip provides a fully digital I²C interface and can operate over a supply voltage of 3.3 to 3.6 V. Fluidic ports on the bottom facilitate easy integration of discrete sensors for manifold systems if necessary. The sensor boasts a short flow sensing response time of about 40 ms and sensor resolutions down to 0.5 nl/min are feasible.
- Flow rates from nl/min up to 1000 µ/min
- Totally non-invasive sensing principle
- High speed: 40 ms response time
- Supply voltage 3.3V - 3.6V
- Digital I²C interface
For custom specific designs in general our core competences include:
- Design and mass production of MEMS flow sensors
- Packaging & calibration in high volumes
- Bio compatibility and high chemical resistance
- Short response times (ms-range)
- Small size micro and nano flow sensors
- Non-invasive / media isolated (one wetted material only)
- High pressure resistance Ultra high sensitivity (< 0.5 nano liter/min)
- Examples Liquids: H2O, Methanol, Blood, EtOH, ACN...
- Dead volume free (straight capillary only)
- Absolute pressure: 0 ... 1000 bar
- Response time: ms-range
- Resolution: down to 0.1 nano liter/min
- Liquid flow range: +/- nl ... 100 ml/min (bi-directional)
- Temperature range: -40 ...120 °C
- Interface: I2C, RS-232, RS-485, analog
- Power supply: 2.6V ... 24V
- Fail safety: self test functionality, auto compensation
- Power consumption: < 100 micro Joule per measurement feasible!
- Wetted materials upon your choice glass, ceramics, PEEK, stainless steel, ...
- Optionally protection category IP54, IP65, IP67
- Disposable components based on highly integrated sensor chips